We absolutely LOVE America Girl Magazine! Each issue is always packed with great content that girls really enjoy. The March/April 2013 issue is all about animals [titled the "I Heart Animals Issue"] and includes animal themed quizzes, stories, 13 pull-out horse posters and fun craft tutorials.
We actually had a multi-pack of Sculpey on hand when our issue of American Girl Magazine arrived, so she couldn't wait to test the "Cute Clay Sea Creatures" tutorial from the magazine.
As a parent I love that the tutorial was presented with easy to follow picture guides, which walk children through each step of creating each of the Sea Creatures [instructions are included to create a whale, fish, sea turtle, octopus and crab].
My daughter chose to create the Sea Turtle, Fish and Whale [pictured above]. After we baked them, she really wanted to use her newly created Sea Creatures to create something fabulous! She decided that she wanted to make a Keepsake Treasure Jar for the upcoming Summer months [pictured above]. She really had a blast making this project over Spring Break!
What you'll need & Instructions To Make A Keepsake Treasure Jar:
- Wax Paper
- Black permanent marker - for drawing on eyes on select Sea Creatures
- Sculpey / Air Dry Clay - Create/Sculpt the Sea Creatures of your choice [we created 3] according to the directions in the March/April issue of American Girl Magazine [either bake if using Sculpey or allow adequate time for air drying if using Air Dry Clay].
- Mason Jar / Jar or Container With Lid - Glue your Sea Creatures to the top of the lid using heavy craft glue [allow adequate time for drying prior to use]
- Deco-Mesh Ribbon [blue or turquoise] - Cute a piece large enough to wrap around your jar/container and a second piece large enough to wrap around the lid of your jar/container. Glue in place [allow adequate time for drying prior to completing next step].
- Decorative Shells - Use heavy glue to affix decorative shells to Deco-mesh ribbon on jar and to the lid of your jar/container [allow adequate time for drying prior to use].
The March/April 2013 issue of American Girl Magazine is available at select retailers nationwide. For more on American Girl Magazine and to subscribe visit www.americangirl.com/magazine .
There's more! You can learn how to create/sculpt a mini-dolphin by visiting www.americangirl.com/play