This week, in celebration of Earth Day, we made a few fun projects using upcycled/recycled cardboard paper towel and tissue paper tubes. All you need in addition to the upcycled/recycled cardboard tubes are a few simple supplies [that you most likely already have around the house].
See below for full supply lists and instructions on how to make these fun crafts - all 3 crafts are perfect for Earth Day!
Happy Crafting & Happy Earth Day!
Upcycled Tissue Paper Tube Flower / Shape Stamps [pictured above - top]
- Paint Brush
- Card stock or heavy craft paper
- Washable Paint
- Glue [for optional last step]
- 4 Cardboard tissue paper tubes - Cut one end of each of the four cardboard tubes creating optional shapes [refer to the picture above top]
- Washable Paint [in your choice of colors] Dip the shape end of the cardboard tube stamps in the washable paint and stamp on card stock. Allow Adequate time for drying.
- [Optional] Dry Beans, un-popped popcorn kernels and uncooked rice - Once the paint has dried, glue dry beans un-popped popcorn kernels and rice to add dimension to the center of your flowers. Allow adequate time for the glue to dry and then add some color using the paint brush and washable paint.
- Ribbon [about 2 Yards]
- Cardboard Paper Towel Tube [1 tube makes 4 napkin rings] Cut the cardboard paper towel tube into four equal rings [about 2 inches each],
- Ribbon - Affix one end of the ribbon to the inside of the cardboard ring using a small dab of heavy craft glue, continue to wrap the ribbon all the way around the cardboard ring until the cardboard ring is completely covered. Glue the other end of the ribbon to the inside of the ring - cutting any remaining excess.
- Decorations [optional] - Use heavy craft glue to affix shells, beads, bows or other optional decorations to decorate your napkin rings - allow adequate time to dry before use.
Upcycled Cardboard Tissue Paper Tube Bird Feeder [pictured above - bottom ]
Cardboard Tissue Paper Tube - Cut 2 small holes on either side of the top and bottom of the tissue paper tube [ 4 in total ]
Peanut Butter [1 table spoon]- spread the peanut butter over the surface of the cardboard tissue tube.
Sunflower seeds or Mixed Birdseed [1/2 Cup]- After you have covered the tube in peanut butter roll the tube in sunflower seeds / mixed bird seed.
Pipe cleaners - Fold one of the pipe cleaners in half and twist the two pieces together. Feed the pipe cleaners through the two bottom holes to create a perch [see picture above - bottom]. Feed one end of the second pipe cleaner through one of the top holes and twist repeat on the other side to create the hanger for your bird feeder [see above picture - bottom].