We're hitting the road a lot this summer with the kids. Dare I say it though? Traveling long distance really hasn't sparked my interest much since our youngest arrived last year. I'm more of a day trip / long weekend kinda' gal these days. There's far less pressure and stress involved, which makes room for more family fun!
As the plan is to stress less, my summer bucket-list is pretty simple and includes lots of unscheduled time for spontaneous adventure; which is when the best family memories tend to be made in our home.
Our summer bucket-list includes:
Summer is all about soaking up the summer sun, and cooling off! We're headed to one of our favorite spots just a short drive away in a few weeks. We can't wait!
When I think about childhood, some of my best summer memories were made alongside my brothers, white knuckling my way through all of the rollercoaster's and lightning fast rides. That's an experience that goes hand in hand with childhood in my mind, so we're definitely off to explore a few area amusement parks with our kids this summer!
Day trips to the beach.Sun, water, sand castles…need I say more? This is the stuff that life-long childhood memories are made of.
My children gravitate towards water in the summer, as most kids do. We plan on spending tons of time at our local pool. It's our absolute favorite hang-spot on hot summer days! While we love soaking up the summer sun we do so cautiously, especially when it comes to the kids. They wear brimmed hats when they're out of the water. They also wear protective clothing, and we diligently apply liberal amounts of sunscreen every two hours (every 80 minutes when the kids are in the water). Kids can be tough though when it comes to applying sunscreen! We love Banana Boat® Kids and Banana Boat Baby® Broad Spectrum 50 Sunscreen Lotion. The kids are fairly fuss-free when we apply it too, as it's fragrance free, tear-free and sting-free.
We definitely plan on heading to our favorite zip-lining / aerial ropes course a few times this summer! This is such a confidence booster for young kids. It's a great way to get outside and have a little adventure as a family in the great outdoors. A definite must-do with kids ages 6+. Highly recommend!
Like any trip with kids, day trips take some planning. We make sure to pack a bag of essentials for the kids and ourselves before we hit the road.I usually pack a bag to the brim because you just never know with kids, right? If we're headed off on a land adventure, I use a backpack. It's easy to carry and keeps us hands-free. If we're headed to the beach or pool, I usually pack a tote that easily drains/dries out.
Day Trip Essentials:
- Banana Boat® sunscreen lotion for the entire family. Remember, not all skin is created equal. Kids and baby's need protection that is specifically formulated for them. I love that Banana Boat® offers options specifically formulated for older kids and baby. It's my go-to brand in the summer.
- Wide brimmed hats
- UPF light-weight moisture wicking clothing. We outfit our children with garments that offer a protection of 50+.
- Refillable water bottles, with built-in filters. This way, you can fill them up anywhere while your on-the-go and stay hydrated.
- Pre-packaged squeeze snack pouches for baby and older kids. TIP: When they're empty. Don't throw them out! Up-cycle them! Rinse them out and fill them up with water. Place them in the freezer and use them to keep lunch/drinks cold in the cooler. They're also great to use as little ice packs for boo-boo's!
- A small first-aid kit
- Sand toys
- Reading Material for the kids and adults
- Plastic waterproof case. I use a travel soap case to store our keys and a small stash of cash so I don't have to tote my entire wallet/purse.
- Baby powder; it works wonders at removing sand from hands / feet!
- Small Travel Containers of shampoo/body wash + a change of clothes for everyone.Most beaches have outdoor showers for rinsing off when you exit the beach. If you're only visiting for the day, use them to wash up and change out of wet suits before piling into the car. It will make for a more comfortable/peaceful ride home; especially with kids!
- Towels for the beach + a few extras for use with the outdoor showers.
What must-have items do you pack for your family adventures? Tell us in a comment below!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Banana Boat® . The opinions and text are all mine. Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.