We've hit the ground running this summer! We're 2 weeks into summer vacation and we've already logged two road trips with the kids. Both getaways were pretty simple, tons of fun and most importantly, fairly stress-free.
I've learned that 2-3 day trips work best for our family at this stage. It allows us just enough time to have a great family experience, without over-extending and pushing our limits. I've also learned some major ways to save big on food and beverages when we hit the road.
Here are 6 Ways To Save Big on Food On Your Next Family Road Trip:
- Find hotels that offer a small refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. These may seem like small amenities however, when utilized properly, they can add up to some BIG savings!
- This tip goes hand-in-hand with the aforementioned in-room coffee pot. Bring your own coffee, sugar packets (if you use it), and buy creamer locally to keep in your in-room mini-fridge. Morning coffee at a resort can run $4-$5+ a cup. Coffee for 2, over the course of a 3 day stay, can add up to $30. That's assuming that you each have just 1 cup per day. As a coffee drinker, I generally have 2-3 cups of coffee a day, as does my husband. This is definitely an expense that could add up quickly for us!
- Bring your own water, bottled juice, and soda (if you drink it). Refrigerate enough for your road trip and pack ahead in a cooler for the car ride; refrigerate the rest when you get to your destination and bring it along in a small cooler on your daily adventures while your away. Bottled water, soda, and juice can add up very quickly, especially in a family of 5! On our last trip, the resort and amusement park we were visiting charged $4 for a small bottle of apple juice, $3.50 for a bottle of spring water, and upwards of $4 for a soft drink. Over the course of a 3 day stay, we could potentially spend hundreds of dollars just on beverages for our family. It only costs us around $20 to stock up on cases of these items at Sam's Club prior to our trip, and take them along with us. This is a total no-brainer!
- Bring your own breakfast cereal. By bringing along your own cereal, you can save big on both time and money. Pick up a half-gallon of milk locally, and store it in your in-room mini-fridge. You can eat breakfast in your room, and hit the attractions earlier in the morning when you don't have to make a pit stop at a busy restaurant with the kids in tow. TIP: If you can find the cereal that is individually pre-packed in plastic bowl containers that works best. If not, make sure to bring disposable bowls, and don't forget to bring some disposable spoons along too.
- Bring your own pre-packaged snacks. If you have snacks and drinks on hand, you can easily just purchase a sandwich or a hot dog while your out and about to complete your meal. By bringing your own snacks along you can easily lay off the heavier sides available on the menu at most resorts and amusement parks. This will not only add up to some big savings for your wallet, you'll also save big in the calorie department as well!
- Think ahead! Peruse the website for the resort that you'll be staying at and research the area that you'll be staying in. Find any applicable coupons or deals that the resort is offering for on-site dining options / area attractions. Resorts often partner with area restaurants and attractions to offer guests big savings. Know your options ahead of time, and plan accordingly
Before you log all of those miles on your family vehicle this summer, start your road-trip out on the right foot with new tires, at an unbeatable price!
Sam's Club offers unbeatable deals on just about everything you can imagine, and tires are no exception. They also offer the best tire brands with the best all-in price matching offer! Tire brands include: Michelin, Goodyear, BF Goodrich and Pirelli. They also include an AMAZING Tire Installation Package with each tire purchase that makes their deal truly unbeatable!
The Sam's Club Tire Installation Package * provides purchasing members with great benefits and services for as long as they remain an active member of Sam's Club. Benefits and services included with the Sam's Club Tire Installation Package include:
- Tire Mounting
- Tire Lifetime Balancing
- Tire Lifetime Rotation
- A Value Stem
- No Charge Tire Lifetime Flat Repair
- 24-hour Emergency Roadside Service