I love the holiday season! Christmas lights, hot chocolate, baking, crafts .... it's my absolute favorite time of year!
My kids and I had a ton of fun making a few simple ( I mean it- super easy!) kids Christmas crafts this past week. Each craft only requires simple materials (some of which you most likely already have on hand ) and about 20 minutes.
Every one of these cute kids Christmas crafts would make adorable handmade presents for the kids to gift this holiday season too.
What you'll need:
UPCYCLED TIN CAN SNOWMAN STACKER HOLIDAY KIDS CRAFT
- Paint brush
- Small cup of water to wash your brush
- Newspaper or cloth to cover your work surface
- 2 Pompoms in your choice of color (to make earmuffs) refer to image - affix with glue.
- 1 Pipe Cleaner (for your earmuffs - refer to image) - affix with glue
- Heavy craft glue or low-temp hot glue gun & glue sticks (if using a low temp hot glue gun - adults should do all of the steps that require gluing)
- 2 Upcycled tin cans. Clean and dry the inside of the can (use 2 varying sizes - 1 slightly smaller than than the other so you can stack them and affix them together with glue after they have both been painted - use either low-temp hot glue or heavy craft glue. If using hot glue - an adult should complete this step)
- White, pink, black, and orange multi-surface paint (or washable kids paint mixed with a small amount of Modge Podge). Paint the entire surface of both cans with white multi-surface paint. Allow to dry. Paint the face of your snowman allow time for drying.
- Felt in your choice of colors (cut thin strips to fit around the can to create your snowman's scarf - fringe on the end with scissors - affix with heavy craft glue or low temp hot glue gun. Next, cut a circle large enough to cover the base of your snowman (the bottom can) and affix with glue or a low-temp hot glue gun (this will protect the surface that you set it on from scratching).
- Small terracotta pots (1 for each of your "trees" - we found ours for .39 cents each at A.C. Moore.
- Paint brush (and a small cup of water to rinse your brush)
- Pine cones in various sizes
- Green and white multi-surface paint or green and white washable kids paint mixed with a small amount of Modge Podge. Paint your pine cones green. Allow time for drying. Paint the tips of the pine cone white for "flocking". Allow Adequate time for drying.
- Heavy craft glue or low-temp hot glue gun and glue sticks (if using a low-temp hot glue gun an adult should complete this step) Glue the painted pine cone at the base into the terracotta pot. Allow adequate time for drying.
- Small Jingle Bells or Small Pom Poms (you could even use puffy paint for smaller children). Affix using heavy glue or low-temp hot glue to create the Christmas ornaments on your trees. Or if your using puffy paint, dot small amounts of various colors on the tips of the pine cone. Allow adequate time for drying.
Handprint Snowman Ornaments Holiday Kids Craft
- Christmas ball (we used a clear non-breakable ornament for the pictured ornament above - we found ours at A.C. Moore for $1 each. You could also use a silver or color ornament as well. Remove the hanger from the ball temporarily so that you will be able to set the ball on it's top to dry (place the hanger back on the ball at the end after the ball is dry and complete).
- Paint brush
- White Multi-Surface Paint
- Baby wipe or wet paper towel (to wipe off some of the paint from your child's hand before they make it to the sink)
- Sharpie Permanent Markers (Black, Orange, Pink, Blue, Green - or other colors of choice)
- Paint your child's had white with the multi-surface paint. Sit the ball in the palm of their hand and have them wrap their fingers up onto the surface of the ball to capture their full hand print. Set the ball down on it's top (where you removed the hanger) to dry.
- Once dry - have the kids decorate each of their fingerprint "snowmen" with hats, scarves, earmuffs, eyes and mouth, a carrot nose etc. For an extra special touch have your child write their name, age, and year on the bottom of their handprint snowman ornaments.
- Replace hanger in ornament once your Handprint Snowman Ornaments are dry
We hope that everyone has a magical holiday season! Happy Crafting!