My daughter and I can't wait for the March release of Disney's Beauty and the Beast! We are big fans Emma Watson from her Harry Potter days, and we are so excited to see her take up the role of Belle. In celebration of the new Beauty and the Beast movie, we made this DIY Beauty and the Beast Rose Mason Jar Night Light this past weekend. It's a super simple kids craft, and it's such a pretty little luminary - perfect for a bed side table!
Read on for the simple supply list and easy tutorial to make your own DIY Beauty and the Beast Rose Mason Jar Night Light.
DIY Beauty and The Beast Rose Mason Jar Night Light Kids Craft Tutorial
Time needed to complete this craft: about 30 minutes (or less)
What you'll need:
- low-temp hot glue gun + 2-3 low temp hot glue sticks ( note: this craft is recommended for kids ages 7+ - the low-temp hot glue gun should only be used with heavy adult supervision)
- 1 smooth surface Ball Mason Jar ( found at most craft stores for about $1 each)
- 1 adequately sized wood slice ( to use as a base for your night light -found at most craft stores for around $2-$3 each - ours about was 4" x 5" )
- 1 battery operated LED tealight with auto timer function ( the one we found stays on for 6 hrs. and shuts off for 18 hrs - it cost $2 for 1)
- sheet moss
- 2 silk roses. 1 in it's full form (cut the stem to size to fit in the jar ) 1 to remove 2-3 rose petals to use for the bottom of the jar (where the tealight sits - refer to images).
1. Start by unscrewing the lid from the Ball smooth surface mason jar.
2. Next, use a generous size dollop of low-temp hot glue to affix the mason jar lid to the wood slice base (refer to image below).
3. Now, use add a thin line of hot glue around the outer edge of the mason jar lid - affix sheet moss in small pieces to conceal the outer edge of the jar lid.
4. Place the LED tealight (with auto-timer function) in the center of the mason jar lid (do not affix with glue - so that you can simply replace the button cell battery in the tealight for continued long-term use). Note: turn on the tealight at the exact time that you'd like for the light to turn on every day - we turned ours on a t 8 PM to coincide with the time that my daughter usually goes to bed - this way it stays on for 6 hours - it shuts itself off automatically for 18 hours and turns itself back on at 8 PM every day)
5. Place 2-3 rose petals (cut from the second rose) around the tealight. Place the flower inside the jar and place the jar on the jar lid/ring. Twist it in the ring until its closed tightly.
6. Place your new DIY Beauty and the Beast Rose Mason Jar Night Light on a bedside table or nightstand, and ENJOY! Happy crafting!
Head to the theater with the kids to catch Disney's new Beauty and the Beast - with Emma Watson and Dan Stevens - on March 17, 2017.